Lordship Recreation Ground – Haringey
Lordship Recreation Ground is a District Park situated in the heart of Haringey. It was first opened as a public park in 1932 and has long provided recreational facilities to people living in the Tottenham Area.
Haringey Council wanted to develop a Natural Play Area for Lordship Recreation Ground. The play area needed to be along the existing fence line of the recently installed new playground so that natural play wrapped around the fencing giving children additional opportunities. As part of the project an existing tree was to form the main feature of the project and, as part of the natural play idea, it will be known as the Story Telling Area.
The Lordship Natural Play Area in Haringey has been designed to complement the existing natural environment and encourage children to play. Co-existing alongside a new playground, it has been designed specifically for children aged 0-13 years.
• It is highly multi-sensory and includes, grass, wood, stone, vegetation and other natural materials.
• Have lots of nature and vegetation and other natural materials. We have incorporated plants such as two Buddleia species and some Cornus that will engage children’s interest.
• It has several surfaces encouraging children to work on their locomotion and coordination skills. They need a variety of surfaces that demand a range of body control, attention and effort. They need uneven and less predictable surfaces such as the grass mounding and the railway balancing beam to encourage more effort in this area. A rope bridge walkway has been installed to add an element of risk in the area.
• It provides a variety of spaces and places to be different. A good outdoor play space provides a range of simple and complex spaces such as the Story Telling Seating Area, Sensory Planting Area and Willow Tunnel, where children can be themselves and explore different ways to play.
• It is flexible and responsive to what children want to do. We have created an environment that children can manipulate, change and make into their own, and make use of it.
Equipment: Rope Bridge Walkway
Landscaping: Dry River Bed, Boulders, Mounds, Planting, Grass, Willow Tunnel, Gravel Path
What the client said…
“We have tried to create a play space that meets with the development and play needs of children aged 0-13 which is why we wanted something really natural that fits into the environment. Children love to have lots of interaction with nature and opportunities to understand how they fit into the living world. It was important for us to work with a company that understood not only the landscape but also the inherent play value within the natural environment.”